Tuesday, January 24, 2012

#MsLMstatus: RIP Etta James (January 25, 1938 – January 20, 2012) (MUSIC & BLOG)



I'll admit I'm not your typical blogger who can just write simply because I want to and the catalyst behind the decision to start blogging was because I saw back in 08' that it was they game was starting to shift toward as DVDs got replaced by websites. At this point in my blogging "career" (call it what you want) I don't get much time to sit down and write. Honestly, I don't feel it is one of my strongest talents when it comes to my brand but it is effective and clear. I thrive on clarity and it is one of the main reasons I am writing/blogging and its something that I want my fans/followers/colleagues to understand. Inspiration, is the motivation behind my writing. I could write a short paragraph for all 25+ postings a week but each wouldn't be sincere at this point my ... "career". With clarity and inspiration, blogs like this where I get to reflect and pay homage to legends like Jimmy Castor, Jam Master Jay and Etta James.

Ms. James' prime in her singing career was far before my birth but as many people say, "great music never dies". She faced a number of personal problems including drug and alcohol abuse. Although her music was the public attraction to Etta James, her struggle was what poured out over the songs the were recorded. Take the classic "At Last" which is just one of her many hits that endured her soul and stuggle. She persevered through her addiction to become a pioneer in American Music History! RIP Ms. James, here is just some of her accomplishments:



-Style spanned a variety of music genres including bluesrhythm and bluesrock and rollsoulgospel and jazz

-Regarded as having bridged the gap between rhythm and blues and rock and roll, and is the winner of six Grammys and 17 Blues Music Awards

-She was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 1993, the Blues Hall of Fame in 2001, and the Grammy Hall of Fame in both 1999 and 2008

-Rolling Stone ranked James number 22 on their list of the 100 Greatest Singers of All Time and number 62 on the list of the 100 Greatest Artists.

No comments:

Post a Comment