Popular Posts

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Legendary Coach Hank Smith Is Fired Mid-Season With No Explanation To Players or Alumni

After 2010 Championship Loss and My Last College Basketball Game Ever

Before Coach Smith's arrival EC Basketball was 21-131 but won over 200 games during his tenure. The wins don't even match the success of the people that have emerged from the Men's Basketball program because of its leader Hank Smith. At any other institution, a coach and man like Hank Smith would be celebrated by the administration instead of deciding to go a different way after 16 years of success, hard work and commitment. It has taken me over a week to gather my thoughts and emotions to be able to comment on this situation. Today I attended the EC v. JWU game and the atmosphere of Emerson Sports pride and enjoyment is no longer in the basement of the Piano Row building and sadly it may be gone forever. Many students, staff, parents and even opposing coaches who have never had the pleasure of playing for coach also commented on the emptiness in the building. Those who are a part of the program already know the immense affect that Coach Smith has had and will continue to have on our lives. I will say that Coach Smith is the most influential man in my life after my father but I have chosen to keep my comments about how much I love Coach Smith exclusive to the personal documentary I am releasing in June 2011. I rather take this time to comment on the constant mistreatment of all athletes in Emerson Athletics since the current administration has been in office. Is there no consideration for the current players to get an explanation as to why there coach has been fired mid-season? I had my former teammates call me hysterical because their everyday role model and mentor taken from them with no explanation. I know EC isn't a "sports school" but during my time at EC I felt more like an outsider who was renting time to play basketball and use the facilities than someone who was celebrated for proudly representing my team, athletics and college. As an athlete who turned down Division 1 and 2 opportunities to attend EC I was very offended that I did not receive the proper treatment that every athlete representing a college should receive. Communication from the athletic administration was minimal (and still is as an alumni) as well as the support, basic necessities like socks being cleaned or trainers/team assistants being present on road trips were suddenly non-existent. As a student who paid to go to the college, why was it that I had to pay extra money for the only 3 pairs of socks that were allowed to be washed and not be able to keep them at the end of the season? I'm not sure if I will ever get answers as to why during one of the most successful runs in Emerson athletics history, my teammates and I were suddenly not  treated fairly. Similar to not being able to get answers then, we have no answers from the administration as to why someone who was an inspiration and leader for so many and credit him for their success is suddenly gone. It doesn't matter if we never receive answers for any of our questions it will never affect the success and pride that has come from the Emerson Men's Basketball program and the legendary Hank Smith. B Phi B!

No comments:

Post a Comment