Popular Posts

Monday, February 20, 2012

RIP Lamont "Big L" Coleman (May 30, 1974 – February 15, 1999) (VIDEO & BLOG)





I need y’all to excuse me for a second, as he has been and probably always will be my favorite MC of all-time. I’m not saying I think he is the best of all-time but he is definitely my favorite. Its real sad that his career had to get cut short, especially being murdered but his legacy will live on together. I think L is my favorite MC ever for many reasons. First, his rhyming style is used by every one who was around his era by emphaszing the two-word  at the end of the lyric significantly! For example “In a street brawl I STRIKE MEN/quicker than LIGHT-NING/you seen what happen in my last FIGHT-FRIEND/IGHT THEN” which is something that is protocol these days in Hip Hop! Even though L didn’t start it, he definitely took that style and patented it. Another reason I love L as an artist is because I was living in Harlem during the summers in 95’-00’ and even got a chance to meet L on 125th street when I was 11. I let him know I was a big fan and even spit him some lyrics from his song “M.V.P.” and the #1 message I remember from that conversation was him telling me “stay in school”. RIP Big L, he’ll never be forgotten, his influence is etched in stone and as the years go on he should be celebrated more and more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment