Monday, January 17, 2011

Martin Luther King Jr. Day (2011)


There are no words that could describe the feeling I got when I first saw this picture. Its almost as if President Obama and Dr. King were actually at the same table, but one thing is for sure they shared the same vision. Last year I spoke in a video blog about Martin Luther King Jr. and how he has affected my life. One year later I feel the same way, I think that a one day celebration is not enough for a man who is the most influential figure in American society's history. He is the reason that young black men can even aspire to become entertainers and professional athletes so my question is why aren't more young black men trying to be like Dr. King? Then it hit me, he is who I want to be like. Both he and President Obama are major figures in the African-American community because they are strong, influential African-American men but their fight for civil rights and justice is for people of all races. I am a young African-American, Dominican and Irish man and very proud of all of the races I come from. Although I want to have a major influence in the African-American community, I want to help and motivate men and women of all races all over the world. I've heard the phrase "if you want something done, do it your self". That is exactly what I'm going to do, so instead of asking "why aren't more young black men trying to become like Dr. King?", I will become more like MLK and dedicate my life to improving the lives of children and fighting hate all over the world. Because I have a dream to but I'm not going to tell you about mine, I'm going to show it to you! Happy Birthday Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., Rest In POWER! 

-Jeremy Shannon

No comments:

Post a Comment